Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Future captaincy

Guest Checker

Guest Watts=Saviour

Considering our relatively young list, not to mention the good young players we should (hopefully) get at the end of the year, I’d like to think we’ll be a fairly competitive team in the years to come.

My question is, who do you see captaining that side?

Brent Moloney bleeds for the club. Is that enough to get him over the line?

Brock would be the other obvious choice for the long term.

Green if we want a short-term captain.

Grimes is too young, but would be a chance if he were 21 or 22.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Brent Moloney bleeds for the club. Is that enough to get him over the line?

Brock would be the other obvious choice for the long term.

Green if we want a short-term captain.

Grimes is too young, but would be a chance if he were 21 or 22.

Aaron Davey has been very prominent lately. I believe he would fit the bill.

Have been thinking very similar thoughts. He has exuded "Captain" this year.. simply by way of deed. He has led and inspired.

Yep i like Davey as well.

I would think it would be between him and Brock. I would be happy with either choice really.

I agree that Davey would be a great choice, as would Green. Davey has been working tirelessly for our club the last couple of years, not just with his playing, but his efforts to bring in indigenous talent and increase our profile in indigenous communities. Green of course is one of our best on-field leaders and in the short term would be an inspirational leader for the club.

As a long shot, I'd like to see Liam Jurrah in consideration in a couple of years. We already know that he's a community leader back home. He's used to setting an example for his peers and the younger guys. It will be very interesting to see if that translates to the club environment once he's settled in. Plus it would be a huge boost to our profile with indigenous communities.

Davey, from Green and Mclean. I love Grimesy, but if Brock couldn't get it at 21-23, Grimes shouldn't. I think Bruce will be mentioned too though, considering he's having another really good year, despite his faults.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm really convinced by ANY of those.

If Sylvia could sort out a few minor problems i think he could be a ok leader in years to come as he has a huge future & is young.At the moment though id love to see Moloney get the gig,hes middle aged,hard at it & gives his all,also is in the heat of the battle all the time & dosnt take a backwards step.Loves to talk & instruct also which is where i have a problem with Davey.Has great skills but to me isnt a huge talker or leader & seems to be shy

Guest Watts=Saviour

yeah I'd like to see Sylvia take it aswell, if he could get himself sorted. His agression makes him an inspirational leader, and could lift the team when needed.

Moloney for me. Today's game further fortifies his case IMO. Strong and tough, wins his own footy and uses it well, leads by example and is so passionate about the club. Just about the only midfielder we had who held his own today.

Green would be stiff to miss out, but is probably too old now, McLean needs to concentrate on form and fitness, and it's too early to call on Sylvia. Another good year or two and he might be considered. Being sidelined thru suspension doesn't help his case.

Davey could get it; he's already unofficially the captain of the indegenous players, but i still have concerns about his ability to beat a tag. Think he should concentrate on playing good footy firstly, and being a mentor for the likes of Jurrah, Jetta, Bennell and Aussie. The club captaincy might be too much pressure for the Flash. Could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as one who'd cope all that well with the added attention and pressure.

Beamer just looks hungry and ready for it.

By a country mile, Davey!

McLean used to be the next in line but not now. Gets caught too often and doesn't chase consistently! Is hard though.

Bruce not in the race IMO. Wwwaaayyy to many bad disposals but endeavor is 1st class. Doesn't win us games.

Green, Moloney and Sylvia are reasonable long shots IMO.

For leadership and direction, skill and on field performance, inspiration, lack of glaring clangers, endeavor, experience, respect and determination, who else qualifies?????

Some of the so called candidates dont have real 2nd efforts and turn the ball over consistently, which is not what a leader of our club should do!

By a country mile, Davey!

McLean used to be the next in line but not now. Gets caught too often and doesn't chase consistently! Is hard though.

Bruce not in the race IMO. Wwwaaayyy to many bad disposals but endeavor is 1st class. Doesn't win us games.

Green, Moloney and Sylvia are reasonable long shots IMO.

For leadership and direction, skill and on field performance, inspiration, lack of glaring clangers, endeavor, experience, respect and determination, who else qualifies?????

Some of the so called candidates dont have real 2nd efforts and turn the ball over consistently, which is not what a leader of our club should do!

Captains have to be hard & tough, uncompromising, & definately one who WILL NOT be intimidated. No one who would take a short step or back peddle.

Beamer for me, he's guts personified and bleeds for the club. I wouldn't be unhappy with one of Green, Davey, or McLean.

We have a dearth of leaders at this club, and I don't mean people who are good at standing up in front of the media, I mean people who stand up when they need to.

Grant Thomas is an arrogant tossbag but he was on to something with the rotating captaincy. It puts short-term pressure on to those who might need some focus and drive. And rewards the hard work of the dedicated.

My view would be to give Davey, Moloney, and McLean the job over the next three years and in 2013 reassess. Those three would be a chance and so would Watts and Grimes.

Beamer for sure. Loves the club and shows his passion, great role model for kids, is still improving and is the only player on the ground that can stand up in a tackle (which is probably not a prerequisite but is great to see).

beamer. most def, brock is nowhere near captain, as he clearly cant lead on the field if he's 10 yards behind the pace!

The captain needs to be a player that will play nearly everygame

Unfortunately McLean and Moloney's track record of missing large chunks of seasons would make them questionable choices.

Brad Green would be a good choice for next captain

Aaron Davey by a country mile.

I would like to think Flash gets his temper under control before he is considered a possibility. Too many times he just has a brain melt when the opposition targets him. If he wants to become a very good footballer he needs to understand that he is going to get tagged and he needs to not only know how to break a tag, but how to deal with it mentally.

If he were to get rid of these occasional errant snaps, then he would be just as good as any other candidate.

The captain needs to display on-field leadership as opposed to off-field leadership. This is why i think that the McDonald captaincy, whilst pulling the heart strings, was not a very good one, IMO. Unfortunately his best and worst are starting to widen at an alarming rate and should have retired last year (the game has gone well and truly past him).

Sure, it's great if a player bleeds for the club, but what's more important is on-field leadership. Players who don't display as much on-field, but are excellent off it can be put in the leadership group, as that's what it is there for.

ATM there aren't too many that spring to mind when it comes to a standout on-field leader.