Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Keep it Simple

Pello

He's something radical. Why don't we play on at all costs and kick the ball long into our forward line as quick as possible to a one on one or two on two contest.

Let's run hard, move the ball quickly and not give the opposition time to set up their zone behind the ball. If nothing else it will reduce the number of potential turnovers (as we will have less possesions) and increase the number of times we get the ball into our forward 50 therefore increasing our chances of scoring.

Radical I know - what do you think?

He's something radical. Why don't we play on at all costs and kick the ball long into our forward line as quick as possible to a one on one or two on two contest.

Let's run hard, move the ball quickly and not give the opposition time to set up their zone behind the ball. If nothing else it will reduce the number of potential turnovers (as we will have less possesions) and increase the number of times we get the ball into our forward 50 therefore increasing our chances of scoring.

We could bring back Wheatley who could kick it long to our non existent forward line then stand there with hands on hips as the ball is whisked to the other end for an opposition goal. The game in it's current form is about possession and the quality of it. Who's going to mark it and who in our midfield is going to run from end to end to implement your plan, Mclean maybe? "Kick it long" is not a plan. Unless your plan is to lose possession and then watch whilst the opposition uses the other wing to play possession football and score.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Kick it long is just frustration. No point teaching the kids more bad habits, they are picking up enough at the moment. What we need to do is keep at plan that - when the kids have the muscle and experience to be able to implement - will not just beat sides but smash them. Think Geelong 2005 or Hawthorn 2006. It looked ugly then but it laid the foundation for flags.

We could bring back Wheatley who could kick it long to our non existent forward line then stand there with hands on hips as the ball is whisked to the other end for an opposition goal. The game in it's current form is about possession and the quality of it. Who's going to mark it and who in our midfield is going to run from end to end to implement your plan, Mclean maybe? "Kick it long" is not a plan. Unless your plan is to lose possession and then watch whilst the opposition uses the other wing to play possession football and score.

You missed my point. I said:

1. Move the ball quickly

2. Run hard

3. Don't give the opposition time to set up the zone

4. Kick long to an even contest (not 2 on 3 or 4 as we so often do). If the ball is kicked to the advantage of a forward in an even contest we have a better than 50% chance of scoring even if they don't mark it.

The current game plan is not working because:

1. The current crop of players don't have the ability to execute it.

2. We simply don't get the ball into the forward 50 enough to kick a winning score.

3. We move the ball too slowly. The stop - start football is crap!

None of my suggestions could be any worse than what is going on at the moment. We had only kicked 2 goals to 3/4 time last game. We are the lowest scoring team in the league and have the least number of forward entries.

It is clear that DB's game plan is not working. Until we have the quality of players capable of executing it keep the game plan simple and try to score and at least be competitive.

What is wrong with that?

totally agree that we have to break the lines by quickly playing on and keep the ball moving. Our forward line has been coming unstuck by slow ball movement which allows teams to flood giving them zero space. Possession game is good but when you are not moving the ball forward quickly then teams will come unstuck by kicking to a 1 on 3 contest

Agree - we need to move the ball into the forward line as fast as posssible - the sideway movements in the backline give the opposition plenty of time to flood back into our forward line and mean that leads made by the forwards when in the clear cannot be honoured. Further the forwards must be told to lead and the ball kicked low and fast towards them so they can run onto the ball. At the moment forwards, such as Robertson, stand still waiting to fly for the high kick, and when it comes ithere is a pack situation.

The ball should be moved by foot rather than by hand. A short kick over 15 metres to a player means the player has less pressure on him and can choose whether to play on immediately or go back and wait for a lead. Currently handballs go sideways to players who have to play on immediately.

We also need 2 players other than Aaron Davey to have the task of kicking the ball in after a pont. They need to give the responsibility to defenders who can kick the ball out quickly. At the moment, time is wasted while Davey comes down all the way o collect the ball, thus giving the opposition to clog up the ground. His skills are needed further up the ground.

Finally we should employ more man on man defence when not in possession of the ball and rely on our pace to get lplayers loose whenever we cause a turnover.

I was at training in the preseason and when they ran these drill Bailey would scream at them to move the ball more quickly.

I very much doubt that the stop/start footy we tend to play is Bailey's gameplan, but in fact it is the quick ball movement that you want which is what he's trying to do. It's our players who are not carrying it out.

I think that is our Game Plan, we just don't execute it. Too often we get bogged down by slowing it down or we don't have the players taking the game on. Jetta, Grimes, Bennell, Slyvia are starting to do this, Davey included, i feel we're being let down by our more experienced players. Week after week i read our "leadership" players come out and say "we're going to do this, going to that" though its these very players letting us down with poor disposals, failing to make a contest and constantly giving away silly free kicks. (sorry for the vent) Melbourne play better football when there moving the ball quickly. When i watch them play i notice after a few errors of poor disposals the team gets into this defensive mode until a player like Davey can spark them.

Baileys plan will work, i believe like him It is a consistency thing. The ability to hit the target time after time, they all the skill, face it they'd cream every single one of us if they were playing in our local. They play AFL, when they kick the ball its all about focusing, doing the same routine; weighing up the receiver, who it is, where's he running, "where can I kick it to MY TEAMS ADVANTAGE!!" Not FIVE meters over his head, NOT Skidding along the ground towards his ankles. Out in front of him. They have really got a space of a 10 meter radius, yet they cant hit it. time after time. Thats whats makes players like Judd superior to Mclean, Moloney, Jnr to name a few.

Because if we do that we have no forwards who can win the one on one contest. The idea is to isolate players on the lead or bring the ball in quickly and directly.

I, as I have said in other threads, believe that quick movement of the ball and run of the mids is the gameplan.

The players want to desperately play this way, but when their confidence is tested by a mistake they shrink into a man-sized shell.

They seize up so easily.

They can do it, a prime example would be the game against the Dogs. I recall one passage of play where there was about 10 handballs to running players off HB to the FP and Miller missed the goal, but the play had me smiling for 10 mins. I was just thinking about how the players wouldn't have had the skill, the where-with-all, or the confidence to do that last year.

This week I would ask our supporters to look at the players that get the ball and play on. I want everyone older than 23 to set the example for the younger players by backing themselves and playing at every opportunity.

Time to lead.

I, as I have said in other threads, believe that quick movement of the ball and run of the mids is the gameplan.

Is there a club in the league that doesn't have this as a fundamental in their game plan ? Some do it infinately better than others.

Even Adelaide are now adopting this approach as a basic premise.

If I was coaching the MFC for the next nine games this is what I would do

1) Drop Whelan, Robbo and don't play McDonald, give all three the last game against St Kilda as farewell game. These three will not be there in 2010, no point playing them now.

2) put Aussie in the paddock, he is trying to play again this year, get him right for to start preseason. The same might go for Brock Mclean if he keeps up current form.

Structure

No more zone, one on one footy we need to find out which players we have that are prepared to work hard, run hard to create and then run hard to defend. The only zone I will accept is point kick ins, even then I want to see more one on one.

Forward set up, 2 deep forwards out of the square one small forward starting high about the 50m arc and to stay in our forward half and to work to be front and square at every forward contest. 2 lead up CHFs give marking options out for when we come out of defense, a HFF that will play more like an attacking wing man will cover from Back flank to our goal line. With that in mind we set up as follows

Watts, Jurrah

Maric or Jetta

Miller,Bate

Sylvia

Midfield we need to win the footy and give to out outside midfielders then create space for them to run and kick to a target. at Ball ups/throw ins have two defensive side one attacking, with out outside midfielders setting up a little wider on the defensive side. Always have a player 5 metres defensive side of the contest for an attacking option or to stop an easy clearance See below

Attacking side Jones Green

Ruck Johnson

Defensive side Morton Mclean Moloney Davey

The HFF Sylvia

Backline attack of HBF and work together to cover each others man, keep a back six structure regardless even if they play a 4 or 5 man forward line, if they choose to put numbers in our forward half create the wall so the ball doesn't come out easy.

HBF Bruce Rivers Grimes

FB Cheney Warnock Frawley

The others

Newton to get a run at FF with Watts and Jurrah we add in Newton of the bench

Bennell Can play back forward or on a wing

Martin the spare ruckman

Then pick between Dunn, Valenti, Petterd, Bartram for a more defensive midfielder.

Strauss to play 2 games.

Is there a club in the league that doesn't have this as a fundamental in their game plan ? Some do it infinately better than others.

Even Adelaide are now adopting this approach as a basic premise.

I should have put the emphasis on the "is" on that sentence.

I was attempting to say to those who think the stop-start chipping around, that has dominated the last 3 weeks, was because of instruction from Bailey are kidding themselves.

I should have put the emphasis on the "is" on that sentence.

I was attempting to say to those who think the stop-start chipping around, that has dominated the last 3 weeks, was because of instruction from Bailey are kidding themselves.

The stop start chipping has been prevalent the past season and a half not just the last 3 weeks. If DB truly wants the players to play on at all costs and he is truly a teaching coach as we've all been told then perhaps he should be sacked now. Because after 35 matches his message isn't getting through.

It doesn't matter how bad or inexperienced a player is or how bad their disposal is once they get the ball they should be able to play on at all costs!. Sure they will get caught and they will make mistakes but when it does work we will get more entries into the forward 50 much quicker and before the opposition have set up the zone. Even if our forwards get beaten in a one on one or two or two contest the more times we pump the ball in the more often we have a chance to score. Our forwards won't be beaten every time if the contest is even particularly if the kick is kicked to their "general advantage" without having to hit them lace out on the chest.

And when every player in the team knows that their team mate is going to play on they will know they have to run to support them or lead to space straight away.

Like I said from the outset - Keep the game plan simple while players are still developing. More forward entries means more scoring opportunities - its not rocket surgery!

The stop start chipping has been prevalent the past season and a half not just the last 3 weeks. If DB truly wants the players to play on at all costs and he is truly a teaching coach as we've all been told then perhaps he should be sacked now. Because after 35 matches his message isn't getting through.

It doesn't matter how bad or inexperienced a player is or how bad their disposal is once they get the ball they should be able to play on at all costs!. Sure they will get caught and they will make mistakes but when it does work we will get more entries into the forward 50 much quicker and before the opposition have set up the zone. Even if our forwards get beaten in a one on one or two or two contest the more times we pump the ball in the more often we have a chance to score. Our forwards won't be beaten every time if the contest is even particularly if the kick is kicked to their "general advantage" without having to hit them lace out on the chest.

And when every player in the team knows that their team mate is going to play on they will know they have to run to support them or lead to space straight away.

Like I said from the outset - Keep the game plan simple while players are still developing. More forward entries means more scoring opportunities - its not rocket surgery!

The bolded part - He is coaching a group that has lost all confidence, anyone can go out there and tell the players to take the game on, but the players don't do it because they don't believe they can do it successfully. They mentally seize up like a team that has won 9 of their past 57 matches would.

The italics - It does matter how bad or inexperienced someone is. If you continually screw up, and don't have the inner belief to keep taking risks, you are going to retreat into your shell. And it stands to reason that those with unrelible skills, and lack of experience, would be those to 'screw up' the most.

Oh, and one more thing, I suggest you purchase the 'name-a-game' copy of the WB game earlier this year to see how a group of players under Bailey's charge can play some daring footy against a very good side. I only say that becasue of the first line of your post suggests that you see no progress toward this gameplan.

Oh, and one more thing, I suggest you purchase the 'name-a-game' copy of the WB game earlier this year to see how a group of players under Bailey's charge can play some daring footy against a very good side. I only say that becasue of the first line of your post suggests that you see no progress toward this gameplan.
We also ran into 3 sides in their best form of the year. Collingwood are on a roll and the whole Watts thing played into their hands. Essendon as Carlton can attest are up and about. The Bears at the Gabba was never going to be easy. Unfortunately that has let the anti Bailey brigade out of the box. Confidence is now a problem so this week will be a tough match.

This year is all about development and not winning games. Yes we won 3 games last year, 2 of them were very lucky wins and the other was against WC. To say we haven't improved is just plain wrong. This rebuild is going to take time. We're basically starting a team from scratch except we don't get the pick of the draft 2 years running like most start ups do!

We often do, and either turn it over because our ball-handling skills are so poor, or end up kicking to two on one (or worse, three defenders on Robbo).

I think you're asking for a change of game plan to one that will limit the current damage (more man-on-man would do that) but will simply teach the young guys a style that is never going to deliver a flag. You could get Sammy to coach them too... :D

...one that will limit the current damage (more man-on-man would do that)...

I agree with most of what you're saying, but not this...

I think you'll find that the defensive zone we employ, usually limits the space of the opposition and leaves us with at least a defensive 2 on 1 (in our advantage). We usually have lots of numbers back helping us. The Hawthorn game was a good example of this. However, when we look to go the other way, it's usually difficult, because our players (usually midfielders) don't run hard enough forward, to provide options up the ground. Sometimes, our defensive 50 may seem quite open, but that's only because we've probably turned it over and our players haven't pushed back yet.

When teams do score against us (and usually very easily) are the man-on-man contests. This is due mostly to lack of experience, sometimes pace and sometimes skill level.

The way I explained that was rather long-winded and convoluted, but hopefully it makes sense.

"Here's something radical. Why don't we play on at all costs and kick the ball long into our forward line as quick as possible to a one on one or two on two contest.

Radical I know - what do you think? "

In my opinion you're exactly right, Pello. Most of the posters in reply to you seem to agree that it's a winning tactic. It seems to me that it's what the good sides do...even the ones without a good big-man target down forward(eg Geelong).

The only point of disagreement is whether it's what we're unsuccessfully trying to achieve at the moment. We do seem bogged down with fruitless attempts to avoid long kicks to a 50:50 situation.

Self-confidence of our players is the big downfall at present, I think. Players think twice about the quick play-on, lest they be tackled unexpectedly from behind, or see no option upfield. That split second of hesitation is an opportunity lost. Occasionally we get a run-on, and look like a good side, as we move the ball on quickly. Suddenly Miller presents well, and Bate develops sticky fingers.

I hope DB is the man to inculcate this self-confidence into our players.

• 9 months later...

Sounds like a good summary of our current game plan.

So what will north Melbourne do to stop it? Will they go man-on-man to stop our run, or set up defensive zones in the middle of the ground? Or will they try to force a turnover and counter-attack from defence? Whatever they've done in their past 5 games verses the Dees, it's worked.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC