Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

He has done nothing to show me why he went number 1 pick

dees189227

Leigh and Dennis were talking about Watts and Leigh said he has done nothing to show me why he got picked number 1. Then straight away Watts marked and kicked his 2nd. Dennis said a few positives about Watts but I thought it was an interesting comment. There has been so much hype about this kid and this would have been the first time Leigh saw him live. Hodge and Reiwoldt didn't star in the first 2 games did they? Lets be patient with the kid.

On a other note should we keep playing him in the seniors or send him back to Casey for a hit out.

Think he still looks lost at some points, something that is only going to improve with game time. It's pretty evident that he was better this week than last. He's read the flight of the ball better, a little more confidence, but looked in cruise control sometimes.

I'm confident he'll get there. Keep him in the 1's another couple of weeks. Needs another tall with him. Jurrah complimented well. Newton in?

What did Leigh Matthews expect from a KPF who is still in year 12? 5 goals in his second game? Jesus Christ.

In Jonathon Browns first 6 games he didn't kick a goal, didn't touch the ball on one occasion, got 1 posession on two occasions. Absolutely staggering comments from Matthews, i know i have lost ALOT of respect for him.

While we all understand that Watts needs time to develop, I don;t think it's worth playing him in another senior match for a while. Too often he looks lost on the field. It looks to me like he isn't sure of his role yet, and maybe needs to learn the game plan a bit better. Time to go back to the reserves for a month or two, then a big finish to the year.

I dont think he's ready for AFL football just yet, he's just too raw.

Just because he's the number one draft pick doesn't mean he will definitely be an over night success.

I think it may stunt his growth if he keeps playing in the one's as opposed to Casey.

While we all understand that Watts needs time to develop, I don;t think it's worth playing him in another senior match for a while. Too often he looks lost on the field. It looks to me like he isn't sure of his role yet, and maybe needs to learn the game plan a bit better. Time to go back to the reserves for a month or two, then a big finish to the year.

I disagree.

Of course there has been hype about him. There will always be hype over number one draft picks and that's why all these stupid debates are still going.

He didn't go number 1 for no reason.

Why should we play him in the reserves? I say keep him in the side and let him learn the ropes with the help of a few senior players like Miller, Robbo and co.

The last thing we need is him staring in the reserves, getting another call up, only to let down every idiot that thinks he will dominate.

He needs time. He will find his feet.

how he broke the 20m sprint record at the draft camp ill never know. i havent seen any great speed to be honest. pretty disappointing

I KNOW! in a whole 2 games. Jeeeez why isnt he kicking bags of 6 or 10?

Be realistic, he is a young kid coming to grips with how the game is played. Maxwell was on him last week, Fletcher this week, it is all great experiance. You are only saying this because davey ran him down, any player would have been run down in that situation, they players need to talk and support each other. Jurrah i thought was fantastic, and the pressure is of Watts now that he has kicked a couple of goals. AAAAAnd Etihad is crap!

Yeah well Lethal.... I guess you reach a point in your observations where.....I suppose you finally arrive at a useby date when your judgement becomes somewhat impaired or suburban in its outlook....thus rendering oneself useless or unable to correctly visualize any given situation in todays modern football......

• Like 1

how he broke the 20m sprint record at the draft camp ill never know. i havent seen any great speed to be honest. pretty disappointing

Especially when we have a ready made forward in the VFL with no flaws.

I heard Leigh make those comments. Throwaway line that was bound to excite the minds of some.

This is a an insightful thread indeed.

Absolutely staggering comments from Matthews, i know i have lost ALOT of respect for him.

You respected Leigh Matthews?

I remember what a nasty sniping thug he was so I guess I am coming off a lower base. Fine footballer when he went for the ball - an animal at other times - very good coach, but respect as a bloke? Naah.

As for what he said about Watts, we're over reacting aren't we?

He said he had not seen last night why the kid went No 1. So? Has anyone else seen it at AFL level. I don't think so. He showed some promise last night. Compare Watts' laser straight kicks at goal to that wobbly one from Miller. Took a nice mark, but Matthews was saying he was not having the impact of Rich, which is right.

But Matthews did not say Watts should not have been No 1 - just that he isn't showing it yet.

Anyways, next week he will be back at Casey. He's had a taste of the pace and the pressure and now he gets it eased back some to refine his game.

As for what he said about Watts, we're over reacting aren't we?

Yep.

I can't remember the exact words, but Matthews qualified what he said by saying something like "I'm not sure what I expected from an 18 year old school kid and that Key Position players do take a long time to develop."

Picking talent is not that easy - particularly for KPF. Coaches that have dabbled in recruiting have more often than not, made a complete hash of it.

As for Watts himself, I saw plenty of good signs and one bad sign last night. His kicking, vision and poise is great, but he's obviously being targeted for physical attention. I don't have a problem with that - that's footy. He dropped his head at the last minute in a marking contest waiting for the contact he thought was coming - while completely understandable as an 18 year old kid playing men and the kid's got a great temperament so he'll learn from it, but it's something the Footy Department won't have missed.

Watts may not get sent back to Casey this week, but he will get sent back and supporters should accept it as a natural part of his development. He's on a steep learning curve and still doing his VCE, the days of sink or swim are over.

Leigh Mathews, how many premierships has he been involved in? I reckon he might know a thing or two about footy.

In terms of modern 1st picks showing a bit in their first year Watts is very far behind the rest of the group, this is not putting the kid down or being negative, this is just stating a simple fact. However we all knew that his first year was never going to be anything special because of were he came from and his lack of pre season. Well this isn't completely true, alot of Melbourne fans expected alot more of him this year even though they knew where he came from and what he's done, this is something I don't really understand.

Last night Watts looked slow, slow to react and slow to pick up the pace of the game. He did take a couple of well judged marks and showed his kicking skills though, but overall he looked like a schoolboy playing against men....er sound familiar?

I don't expect anything from Watts untill after a couple of pre seasons, I'm not going to make any judgements untill his body matures, I will make observations though, and that's what Mathews did last night.

Leigh Mathews, how many premierships has he been involved in? I reckon he might know a thing or two about footy.

In terms of modern 1st picks showing a bit in their first year Watts is very far behind the rest of the group, this is not putting the kid down or being negative, this is just stating a simple fact. However we all knew that his first year was never going to be anything special because of were he came from and his lack of pre season. Well this isn't completely true, alot of Melbourne fans expected alot more of him this year even though they knew where he came from and what he's done, this is something I don't really understand.

Last night Watts looked slow, slow to react and slow to pick up the pace of the game. He did take a couple of well judged marks and showed his kicking skills though, but overall he looked like a schoolboy playing against men....er sound familiar?

I don't expect anything from Watts untill after a couple of pre seasons, I'm not going to make any judgements untill his body matures, I will make observations though, and that's what Mathews did last night.

I agree Jarka. Yes he may have dropped his head. Big deal! He's 18. His general body laguage and engagement is fantastic. He is talking, getting invlolved and obviously has a belief that he can play and make a difference. He has great hands, great kick, makes good decisions but hasn't quite learnt where to be on the ground yet. he will. He is smart, gifted and as his body matures his tackles will stick and he will be able to match it with the big guys. He'll be sensational. Just relax. He's only 18 and in his 2nd game!! Added to that, he doesn't have the fitness base of the rest of te team yet and hasn't adjusted to the pace of senior AFL footy. I'm still just as excited about him as I was.

One poster at towards the start of this thread mentioned JBrown and his efforts. Watts is far behind - in what respect? Physical development? Reading of the game? Ability to play in the team? Ability to play his position? Ability to make decisions on field? Total developement relative to potential? Behind relative to midfielders or KPP draftees?

Take your time.

And Jarka, this had better be very good. No-one would want to see that you're using gross generalisations that you cannot substantiate.

Matthews was a great footballer and an excellent coach. He knows full well that Watts wasn't recruited by Melbourne to star in Round 12, 2009 or to play like Jonathan Brown does today. The Demons are looking for someone to play in a specific role in the medium to long term - more like the final series of 2012, the Grand Final of 2013 and beyond.

Matthews is right to question the kid's performance on the night but all the club is expecting ATM are some brief glimpses of what he will produce in the future. The future is going to be a time when the Melbourne forward line will be serviced by a fitter, faster, more skillful and more experienced midfield that would turn last night's two goals into four or five (which he could easily have kicked even on a quiet night like yesterday had the players passed the ball to him when he presented).

I agree Clint. Not only his efforts for the footy but his movement around the ground and following of play. The notion that he is someone behind all the number 1's and by a significant margin is unsubstantiated rat faeces not only on the basis of what we've seen but also on the total lack of measuers- are we measuring 1st game or 1st season or first 50 possessions. or...or...or...

One poster at towards the start of this thread mentionned JBrown and his efforts. Watts is far behind - in what respect? Physical development? Reading of the game? Ability to play in the team? Ability to play his position? Ability to make decisions on field? Total developement relative to potential? Begind relative to midfielders or KPP draftees?

Take your time.

And Jarka, this had better be very good. No-one would want to see that you're using gross generalisations that you cannot substantiate.

What are you babbling on about this time timmy boy?

I think some of us are we overreacting and perhaps taking what Lethal said out of context.

Although I did particularly enjoy the silence from the commentary box when Jack slotted a laser-like kick soon afterwards.

Some interesting points in this thread about young developing KPP players, especially about Jonathan Brown. I've no idea about that the football department will do but I'd hope they continue to play Jack in the seniors, that's the pace of the game that he has to adjust to and he was showing signs of that as the game progressed.

I feel the list is already taking a big step forward when a young tall KPP is getting bagged by some for a performance where he kicks multiple goals.

I think Watts has a great football brain. You can tell by looking at him. His positioning is normally pretty good. However, you can tell he is still adapting to playing against the big boys and is still learning what his body can handle. Couple this with the fact that the kid is very dedicated with his studies and he has Yr 12 exams and you're going to get a hesitant player with a lot on his mind during game day. No matter how often he says it doesn't effect him, he will always have a clouded and hectic mind when playing. Leigh should know better than to make a statement like that. I think it's really unfair.

The actual comment was

"Ive been watching Watts closely for five min and seen nothing to suggest why he would be number one pick"

Well thanks for making your assessment after five min Leigh but I'm sure all the recruiting officers from every club that were watching him for the hole year may have seen a little bit more.