All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yeah, I know that SD. I would say that the Weide just kicked the door in. Stats on disposals (stretch), on it's own,,,, isn't smashing the door in. But how he does it, goes about his game will be the key. I am a fan, but he has to be ready, and to make a difference from the start in AFL.
  3. DV8

Casey Demons v Coburg - VFL Round 12

When you get a serious injury to a key player, and you find it hard to replace the injured player, you use the talent available to best suit needs. TMc is having greatest effect in multiple roles, in the past 12 months, and it was me that called for him to leave the defence,,,,, and go forward as a follower. So your not telling me anything, dimmy. Now because of circumstance, we may need him to return to where he once roamed, to help us out with his newfound skills, and further self-belief and maturity. We do have bit players, who can do other of his roles. But that CHB position is critical to our whole game-plan. Now you say he and Hogan are our strength at the moment but hogan is playing high up he ground and has don little deep recently. But he has starred when going on ball, ov erthe past 6 weeks. Also TMc, has starred when on the Wing, and roaming far and wide, and then pushing back hard, into our F50. So now. throw in the Weide, into your scheme. Hogan, TMc and Weide. Where do you start TMc now? And who do you play at CHB?
  4. Today
  5. Diamond_Jim

The Soccer thread

It's 6:15 and just getting myself together to head for the stadium for the 9pm Poland v Colombia clash. It has been a very hot day here and the temperature is still around 31 and shows little sign of decreasing. The Colombian fans are here in force.My son verily informs me from his many late night bar outings that there are lots of Colombians at the university here. Vuvuzelas galore I suspect The Polish border is a long way from Kazan so I am not sure how many Poles will turn up. As well as the usual items that are banned from the stadiums they also clearly list selfie sticks and vuvuzelas as banned items. I was silly enough to think that no one would break the rules in a society that is so absolutely rule driven as Russia (they are like Singapore and pedestrians wait for lights). Not to be and I will have my ear plugs ready if it becomes unbearable. Not many round 2matches to go now and the various possibilities are in many instances clearer. We have Germany v South Korea next match which will be like that day at the Whitten Oval back in '87 for the German fans.
  6. Fitz Fitzpatrick

Has AFL become too hard to officiate

the age of the interchange being using tactically was the beginning of the end for Australian rules football. It will be slow but the game will die. The sport at the highest level is unwatchable now. The only reason a game is entertaining is if its close with a minute to go. There are no more highlights. cheap goals over the back are boring. Its become basketball on a big field with a rolling maul making it as boring as batshit. I don't want to see fumbling players getting tackled non stop. I want to see one on one contests, high marking, precision foot skills to hard leading forwards. AFL is gone fellas.
  7. DeeSpencer

Changes v St Kilda

More athletic? Nope. He's slower, less agile and not as fit. Better handballer sure, I like Sam's hands on both sides of the body. Better contested mark - well he averages 1 a game compared to Smith's 0.8. Smarter, that's hard to qualify - smarter handballer but that's about it. I've just given you stats to show Smith is good at negating a ruck. Either Smith or Weideman will play minutes in the ruck and their ability to win, lose or negate the hit outs and then follow up is an important part of that role. How many talls do we need? We have Hogan, Tommy Mc as well as Melksham and Petracca who should all be good strong in the air one on one. None of those guys are good pressure players. Tracc is when he's on but he often isn't. Surely you agree forward pressure is a vital part of the modern game? Surely! So if it's not coming from Hogan, Tommy, Weeds, Melksham or Petracca who is doing it?? Hannan and ANB chasing their tails off trying to lay tackles and getting little help. Weideman probably will replace Smith, his VFL form over the last fortnight has been very impressive, but in a couple of weeks he'll get dropped because the 3 talls aren't getting in the game and the forward pressure is lacking.
  8. jacey

Changes v St Kilda

In. Weid Garlett Petty Out. Smith Smith Dom
  9. Satyriconhome

Casey Demons v Coburg - VFL Round 12

So your answer is to constantly turn over the list and team until we have players that have those attributes We have good ball users, it is upto them to learn to use those skills under pressure On Friday we played in a game that had finals like pressure, we had 3 players who have experimced that before We failed in our execution into the 50, but we were getting it in there As Goodwin said he prefers the problem of bombing it in against not getting it in there
  10. ProDee

Changes v St Kilda

Weideman is more athletic and a smarter user of the footy. He's a better hand-baller. He's a better contested mark. He's smarter. Trying to argue that Smith is good at negating a fill in ruck is mind-bogglingly silly. I don't give a [censored] about Smith's "pressure". He's not in the side for "pressure". That's a component for a tall, but not their primary action. Let's reconvene after Weideman replaces Smith on the weekend. If Smith stays you're right and I'm an idiot. Won't be happening.
  11. rpfc

Run home to Finals - 2018

This is pure MFCSS. ... ...doesn't mean you're not onto something...
  12. Macca

The Soccer thread

Do they have a mercy rule in soccer? England 5 Panama 0 ... not yet half time.
  13. Dr. Gonzo

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Yarra Park also far more accessible to the CBD.
  14. Demonised

Changes v St Kilda

And that's one of the more amusing auto-censor moments I've seen.
  15. Demon Disciple

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Let's not forget that during the week, Richmond station is only accessible via the eastern end, as the western exit is closed. Distance from the southern exit of Richmond station to the likely location of our HQ for Gosch's (where the triangular patch of land is) is approx 500m. Distance from the northern exit of Richmond station to the proposed location of our HQ in Yarra Park would be approx 1 km. Crossing Punt Rd either way so busy roads is inconsequential. Yarra Park is very much apart of the MCG surrounds, whereas Gosch's is rather separate. Clearly the club wants to be as close as possible to our home (MCG), the difference of being an extra 500m in distance to be in closer proximity would probably be very acceptable. I'd rather be closer to the Tiger's Punt Rd facility (which we shared during the second world war) than the Pies base. Similar to the old MCC members stand days, where the Dees and Tigers had change rooms side-by-side coming out of the MCC, with the other's coming out of the southern stand rooms.
  16. Rusty Nails

Changes v St Kilda

I agree he needs rewarding PF but he will not have anywhere near the impact on the scoreboard at AFL level (vs form at Casey in this area....7 goals) if he is also playing a chop out role in the ruck. Just as Smith wouldn't. Just as Hogan wouldn't if he were asked. AFL is a completely different level to VFL as you know, especially when effort / time is taken towards carrying out a relief ruck role which he does little, if any of, at Casey. Hence the 7 goal haul. When you say Weids is more dangerous around goal the stats suggest otherwise with Smith leading goal averages and score involvements vs Weids. My worry is i'm not even sure we need 3 talls to be honest. No matter what the combo.....Weids, Hogan, T-Mac..... Smith, Hogan, T-Mac etc. IMHO it makes us too easy to defend and rebound against when the ball hits the ground, clogs up the ability of each to mark and impact (see Friday where you often saw Hogan/Smith or T-Mac / Hogan competing for the same ball) and a few smaller forwards might be able to impact the scoreboard more often off the crumbs....rather than say just one. Would it be better to have just 2 key forwards and include Spargo AND Jeffy for example?
  17. Deestar9

Changes v St Kilda

I suggest you go and learn some more “new stuff’ & then post some meaningful insightful relevant”stuff” !!
  18. jane02

Demonland Player of the Year - Round 14

6. Jetta 5. Viney 4.Brayshaw 3. Gawn 2. Tom Mc 1. Oliver
  19. Rusty Nails

Changes v St Kilda

That is a tweak that probably needs to happen at some point SF if we are to rescue the season and make finals...and hopefully win a final also. Not saying 100% game time but as a resting SF for significant parts of the game? With the return of Viney to a central mid field role and the pushing of Gus out to a more of an on ball HF role we have now recommenced over-use of handball again, especially around the mid field contests. Makes it easier for the opp to corral us and eventually get a turnover to their advantage. Also prevents the ball coming inside 50 as quickly as it might if we were kicking more often. The 3 handball happy amigos kick to handball ratio (with Viney in....Brayshaw pushed out) tells the tale.... Clarry: 0.48 Viney: 0.68 Jones: 0.73 No doubt the low kicking can be attributed to the necessity to handball under pressure and close in work but as we know there is a bit of a choice as to what players prefer. Clarry a great example of someone who prefers to handball significantly more than kick. Brayshaw has the highest kicking average in the team. Kick to handball ratio...... Brayshaw: 1.27 Pretty sure Tracc likes to kick more often also. He would be another i would be looking to get more time into through the mid field (eventually). Part of the issue with kicking though is to be pretty efficient at hitting targets as well and on Friday we were generally woeful with most players guilty of constant wasteful bombing to the hot spot, including Gus. We really need to start hitting up more targets around the 50 meter arc in order to get deeper entries inside 50 and a few more long set shots on goal. The other issue is....very few of our players that run through mid field....are kicking goals at the moment and posing any danger to our opponent. I can't think of one player in the side who worries the scoreboard from around the 50 and plays through the mid field.
  20. nosoupforme

Changes v St Kilda

Lets not get too carried away with many changes however we need the right personnel. I believe that and many would because it is obvious that one tall backman with speed and carry and can break the lines in Frost has to be given the chance now. It doesn't mean that Petty isn't ready. The 18 y o is ready to be given the chance as well. He was the carry over to the P A game. The Weed will replace Tim smith for mine as his 7 goals and playing in the Ruck as well was again a positive game for him. I like to see the speed of Oskar Baker however he isn't far away and Garlett is worth the chance for speed and experience. I believe that Stretch has put in a period of consistent form and looks a good chance as well. INS. Weed, stretch, Frost or Petty. Out Tim Smith, Joel Smith, ANB
  21. Ethan Tremblay

The Ollie Whines Lounge

First time you’ve mentioned it.
  22. beelzebub

Run home to Finals - 2018

Thats us 🙄
  23. jane02

Round 14 Non MFC Games

I still haven’t forgiven my husband for putting the replay on the minute we got home from the QB match - and thinking I would be OK about it. 😡😡😡
  24. John Demonic

Can We Save Our Season?

Would've liked to have seen more shots from 50-60 on the run by Melksham, Brayshaw, Jones once we had got wind of their tactic of flooding defence. Sometimes i think players are not sensing the occasion intuitively, but sticking too rigidly to a tactic.
  25. SFebey

Round 14 Non MFC Games

How good are Essendon playing since Neeld got the axe
  26. picket fence

The Ollie Whines Lounge

Onwards and upwards! "Pervias Rectas" and all that stuff! Whoever made that call Re Toumpas needs to go to purgatory for a zillion years! Don't care what permutations ensued after! We stuffed up BIGTIME!! Blind melon Chitlin!
  1. Load more activity