Port Adelaide.......Average Age 24.6.........Average Games 83
Brisbane............Average Age 24.6.........Average Games 93

Sydney..............Average Age 26.1.........Average Games 110
Richmond............Average Age 23.6.........Average Games 66

Bulldogs............Average Age 25.7.........Average Games 106
Hawthorn............Average Age 23.5.........Average Games 65

Fremantle...........Average Age 24.5.........Average Games 79
Geelong.............Average Age 25.5.........Average Games 100

Some interesting comparisons above. This week there are some close clashes in terms of average age & experience, with the widest gaps being Melb V Adel and Syd v Rich.

LADDER - in terms of youngest & least experienced to most: -

1.Melbourne
2.Hawthorn
3.Richmond
4.West Coast
5.Essendon
6.Carlton
7.North Melbourne
8.Fremantle
9.Port Adelaide
10.Brisbane
11.Adelaide
12.Geelong
13.Collingwood
14.Bulldogs
15.Sydney
16.St.Kilda

Observations:
North, West Coast, Essendon & Carlton were very close for this week re: average age & experience.

Whilst there will be fluctuations in figures week by week this season, I still find this fascinating. I find Hawthorn's position fascinating. Sydney is also a team that stands out, whilst not surprising there were quite a few changes to their list over Summer. They have conditioned bodies with experience and have added pace to their side in the form of Jetta, Rohan, McGlynn and the return of Kennelly. They've also got Seaby who might be another to thrive under Roos.

If you were to go with a higher avg. age with experience this week, here are the tips: -

St.Kilda
North Melb
Carlton
Adelaide
Brisbane
Sydney
Bulldogs
Geelong

B)

*references* - H-Sun

MFC - Building a "Redleg culture"

#2 JACKATTACK

JACKATTACK

Master Demon

• Life Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Favourite Player(s):Jordie and Jack

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

I prefer medians, and the percentile as it shows how much a team relies upon it's younger players.

By way of example

In the Hawks/Melb case, of the players who played last week:

25th percentile: Melbourne 15 games, Hawks 46 games
median (50th percentile): Melbourne 48 games, Hawks 76.5 games
75th Percentile: Melbourne 83, Hawks 111
avg: Melb 66, hawks 81

Green, bruce and JMac really throw the average.
Posted Image Living the StereotypePosted Image

* Statistics that may have been quoted in this post require interpretation by the reader and are provided in support of, not as the sole contributor to any conclusions drawn.

#3 DirtyDees DDC

DirtyDees DDC

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Interesting. I thought the selectors actually decided to pick a more experienced team for Sunday. They chose Newton over Spencer; they dropped Strauss to make way for Sylvia; and they picked Bate and Jones over Cheney and Garland.
Despite these selections, we still have the youngest and most inexperienced team in the AFL this weekend.

The Dees will stay young over the next couple of years too. Junior and Bruce will probably retire by end of 2011.
They will be replaced by an army of kids including Garland who have played 20 games or less who are pushing for selection. Add Tapscott, Gawn and Blease who will virtually be new recruits in 2011, and it's going to be difficult to give all of them the gametime they need in the senior team.

Somethings gotta give. Miller has gone; Rivers, Bate, Jones and Warnock are 4 other guys who may struggle to hold their place unless they can improve their disposal skills. By 2012, 1/2 the goals scored in the AFL may result from turnovers, so If you can't kick or handpass efficiently then you're in trouble.

#4 Rhino Richards

Rhino Richards

Redleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

We should also be assessing the quality of the 5 to 10 most experienced players on any list.

Its there where MFC comes out looking shallow and fragile as a unit.
As Moses said when he parted the Red Sea that "This will give the side alot of confidence" - Guru Bob

#5 deeflog

deeflog

Master Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Favourite Player(s):Schwarz, Stynes, Howe, Jones

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

that is scary that the hawks are the 2nd youngest team in the league

#6 Jarka

Jarka

Master Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

that is scary that the hawks are the 2nd youngest team in the league

Hawthorn are a good example of how much of a positive effect of having 4 or 5 elite players can have on the rest of the team. Mitchell, Hodge, Bateman, Roughead & Franklin. Swap them with McDonald, Moloney, Davey, Miller & Newton and then see how each team performs.

RiP Rohan, a great mate and a loving dad to your beautiful son.

10/10/1971 - 4/7/2013

Never forgotten, already missed.

#7 jnrmac

jnrmac

Red and Blue

• Annual Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Junior and Bruce will probably retire by end of 2011.

I'd like a wager you are completely wrong. What a stupid unknowledgable statement.

''I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people … I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

#8 UTAH

UTAH

Master Demon

• Life Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'd like a wager you are completely wrong. What a stupid unknowledgable statement.

No need to insult the guy.

I would be very, very surprised if JMac was still playing in 2012. And Bruce will probably be driving us all nuts by that stage and will only be allowed to stay on because he and Green are the only two who qualify for the Vets list.

#9 Toad33

Toad33

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Nerd alert!!!!! :blink:
Go Dees - Building for the Future

#10 Toad33

Toad33

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

I prefer medians, and the percentile as it shows how much a team relies upon it's younger players.

By way of example

In the Hawks/Melb case, of the players who played last week:

25th percentile: Melbourne 15 games, Hawks 46 games
median (50th percentile): Melbourne 48 games, Hawks 76.5 games
75th Percentile: Melbourne 83, Hawks 111
avg: Melb 66, hawks 81

Green, bruce and JMac really throw the average.

Double Nerd Alert :)

#11 Curry & Beer

Curry & Beer

Master Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Double Nerd Alert :)

it's called football analysis... it's what some people like to do when they log on to websites to talk abut footy, and some other people enjoy reading it

10616046_536150196522284_276371115803688

#12 Chook

Chook

Red and Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

it's called football analysis... it's what some people like to do when they log on to websites to talk abut footy, and some other people enjoy reading it

True dat.

You get two football clubs. They football at each other.

Then, whoever footballs hardest is the king of football.

#13 DirtyDees DDC

DirtyDees DDC

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

Junior turns 34 this year. Bruce turns 31. Are you saying that they will both be playing AFL football in 2012 when they are two years older? There are recent exceptions such as Bradley and Harvey, but they were A grade players.

Not only is their age a problem, but Bruce and Junior will face increased competition for their positions from the likes of Tapscott, Blease, and Gysberts.

My bet is that Junior will retire at the end of this year, and Bruce to retire after 2011.

#14 Toad33

Toad33

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Whinger Alert

Grow a sense of humour......I was reading the post too in case you didn't figure that out.

Some people like to analyse football but keep a sense of humour about them at the same time.

Go Dees

#15 Toad33

Toad33

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

Whinger Alert

Grow a sense of humour......I was reading the post too in case you didn't figure that out.

Some people like to analyse football but keep a sense of humour about them at the same time.

Go Dees

Warning HUMOUR ALERT. (look it up HUMOUR = funny to most people but generally not nerd :o )

#16 Eth

Eth

Master Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • Interests:The Dees...
  • Favourite Player(s):Insert any Demons player here

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Junior turns 34 this year. Bruce turns 31. Are you saying that they will both be playing AFL football in 2012 when they are two years older? There are recent exceptions such as Bradley and Harvey, but they were A grade players.

Not only is their age a problem, but Bruce and Junior will face increased competition for their positions from the likes of Tapscott, Blease, and Gysberts.

My bet is that Junior will retire at the end of this year, and Bruce to retire after 2011.

That makes me think - how long will Green play for then? He's only 29 but he could potentially play until our premiership (if we win one, which we will :D). He did mention he wanted to play to his mid-30s.

And I reckon Junior this year, Bruce in 2012.
Grimes to Trengove to Viney to Watts to Fitzpatrick

Twitter...

#17 DirtyDees DDC

DirtyDees DDC

Mighty Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

That makes me think - how long will Green play for then? He's only 29 but he could potentially play until our premiership (if we win one, which we will :D). He did mention he wanted to play to his mid-30s.

And I reckon Junior this year, Bruce in 2012.

The difference between Bruce, Junior and Green is that Green is an excellent left foot kick. Look at the kicking for goal in the AFL this year. Not brilliant. Anyone who can get a bit of the ball and kick it straight is worth their weight in Sherrins.
What price Green for captain when Junior retires? He leads by example (that effort to come back against the hawks); he can hold his position in the side, and he's spoken passionately about the club. Not many other options either, other than perhaps Davey.

#18 Chook

Chook

Red and Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Anyone who can get a bit of the ball and kick it straight is worth their weight in Sherrins.

According to Aker, that's a little bit less this year.

You get two football clubs. They football at each other.

Then, whoever footballs hardest is the king of football.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users